Monday, March 26, 2012

How do I know if I have Enterprise or Standard on my machine?

I go to help>About and it just says SQL Server 2005

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Version 9.00.1399.00

You can use osql at the command prompt like this:

osql -S yourServerName -E -q "select CAST(SERVERPROPERTY('edition') AS VARCHAR)

|||

The problem I'm having is that I'm unable to establish and instance of a server so I don't know or have a server name.

This is one of the reasons why I want to know the edition I have. As I understand it, Enterprise edition does not support XP Pro OS, which is what I'm running. If I have enterprise then I figure I might as well give up on trying to get this solved. If I have standard, then I won't give up so easily.

|||If you can get to the SQL Server Configuration Manager, select SQL Server 2005 Services in the left pane, then right click on the SQL Server process and select properties, go to Advanced tab and look at the entry "Stock Keeping Unit Name".|||

I can get to the SQL Configuration Manager, however when I right click on SQL Server 2005 Services "SQL Server process" is not shown.

Also, seems like I don't have SQL Server Browser Service installed. The file sqlbrowser.exe is not in my 90\Shared folder.

Any ideas?

Thanks

|||

An easy way is to go to the registry and look for this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Setup\Edition

Note: You'll have this key for each component installed, so you'll find them here as well:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\NS\Setup\Edition
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Setup\Edition
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Setup\Edition

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

|||

Ok got it..

I have standard edition...So that rules out OS incompatibility theory I was under the assumption that I working under.

So back to my main problem.

I'm unable to establish a local server instance on my machine.

I have established remote server instances, but not local..

Any ideas?

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment