Friday, March 30, 2012

How do I move a project between machines?

Hi,

I'm an SQL Server novice.

After developing some websites (VS 2005 VWD), my machine started to crumble. (e.g, SQL Server won't uninstall and lots of other software problems)

So I bought a new machine and set up a clean installation of SQL Server 2005 Standard and Visual Studio 2005 standard.

I copied my old "projects" folder to the new machine but I cannot use it.

1: When I try to import I get a "cannot import external files" error.

2: When I click on a project, it launches VS 2005 and I can edit etc.
However, when I try to run the website in VS 2005, I get the following error.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) an error

Please can someone let me know how I can get my "old" projects running in my new environment?

Thanks

Ken

Has your sql server name or instance changed if so you will have to change your dataset to represent the new server.|||

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes - I'm using a completely new setup. New server name and new instance name.


But I'm still struggling to get to grips with the management console. I bought several books on SQL Server 2005 and spent lots of time ploughing through the zillions of help files but I have not yet found a "How to" that meets my level of need to understand what I'm doing with SQL Serverr Management Studio.

So, when you say "change the dataset" I don't know what steps to take to do that. If you have a minute, I would very much appreciate some basic guide that shows me how to "change the dataset to represent the new server".

Its hard being a novice!

Ken

|||In your visual studios project you should have set up your project to connect to the database this is a dataset. It is a setup for a connection to the database from visual studios. You should look in your project, and should be somewhere in your solution depending on which type you are creating.|||

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your comment.

One of the problems I'm experienceing is that most of the well intended advice is couched in metaphorical terms rather than in "Press this then click that" terms.

Let's use the sample SQL Express personal website starter kit as an example.

Which DB?: In the App_Data folder thare are two .mdf files: ASPNETDB.MDF and Personal.mdf I know that the application needs both of these DB's. If I change the connection string, do I have to do it for both of these DB's ?

Connection String?: I have been floundering about in the help files without finding anything that I have found to be helpful. Where do I find the "connection string" to these DB's? what does a connection string look like? , How do I change it? What effect does it have on the rest of the project? Do I have to do anything else to make the app run under SQL Server Standard?

If I can get answers to these questions it will help me to get moving forward.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment