Sunday, February 19, 2012

How do I disable Named Pipes in SQL 7?

Hi All
I've installed SQL 7 to 7.00.1094 (SP4 + MS03-031).\
Named Pipes is ticked, but greyed out in the server
network utility. I only want to use TCP/IP. Does SQL 7
require Named Pipes? Can you not remove it?
Thanks
H
H wrote:
> Hi All
> I've installed SQL 7 to 7.00.1094 (SP4 + MS03-031).\
> Named Pipes is ticked, but greyed out in the server
> network utility. I only want to use TCP/IP. Does SQL 7
> require Named Pipes? Can you not remove it?
> Thanks
> H
I believe SQL 7 uses Named Pipes connections for some internal
processing or possibly with tools on the server like SQL EM. You can
remove the protocol from clients. You might be able to change the
default pipe name on the server so clients have a harder time
accidentally connecting using named pipes.
David Gugick
Imceda Software
www.imceda.com

No comments:

Post a Comment