Sunday, February 19, 2012

How do I display a count?

I want to display the number of records for each state in a database. I'm using a strongly types dataset. In my method, I have the following

SELECT COUNT(ID) AS iTotal, STATE
FROM members
WHERE (Suspend = 0)
GROUP BY STATE
ORDER BY STATE

In the code behind of my page I have

Dim mateAdapter As New WAPTableAdapters.membersTableAdapter
Dim mates As WAP.membersDataTable
Dim mate As WAP.membersRow

mates = mateAdapter.GetDataState

For Each mate In mates
Select Case mate.STATE
Case "AK"
LabelAK.Text = mate.ID.
End Select
Next

What shouldLabelAK.Text = mate.ID. be for me to be able to display the number of records that have 'AK' in the state field?

Diane

I think if you use

LabelAK.Text = mate.iTotal

you'll get what you're looking for.

|||

That's what i thought, but it doesn't like it.

Description:Anerror occurred during the compilation of a resource required to servicethis request. Please review the following specific error details andmodify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message:BC30456: 'iTotal' is not a member of 'WAP.membersRow'.

But it is in the dataset, and i can get a preview of the data in the dataset. But it doesn't like it in the page.

Diane

|||
Try mate.iTotal.ToString

I had some state and zipcode data around so I put this together.

webform:

<%@. Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Test.aspx.vb" Inherits="Test" %><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" ><head runat="server"> <title>Untitled Page</title></head><body> <form id="form1" runat="server"> <div> <asp:Label id="LabelMO" runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label> </div> </form></body></html>

code behind:

Imports WAPTableAdaptersPartialClass TestInherits System.Web.UI.PageProtected Sub Page_Load(ByVal senderAs Object,ByVal eAs System.EventArgs) _Handles Me.LoadDim mateAdapterAs New ZipcodesTableAdapterDim matesAs WAP.ZipcodesDataTableDim mateAs WAP.ZipcodesRow mates = mateAdapter.GetDataStateFor Each mateIn matesSelect Case mate.StateCase"MO" LabelMO.Text = mate.iTotal.ToStringEnd Select Next End SubEnd Class


GetDataStat method:

selectcount(Zipcode)as iTotal, Statefrom ZipcodesGroup by StateOrder by State
|||

I have exactly what you do, and I'm getting the error that iTotal is not a member of the row. There must be something I'm overlooking that I've got wrong. But when i compare mine with yours, I don't see a difference.

Diane

|||

That is very odd, I know how you feel though. Sometimes what seems like it should be so easy is infuriatingly difficult.

Post your code so I can play around with it, or you can send it to me at eterry28 @. gmail . com

|||

Thank youeterry28

I did post my code in the first post.

Diane

|||

I resolved my problem by returning the state field in all rows and changing my code to Inmates.Compute("count(STATE)", "STATE='VT'").ToString

Thanks for your help

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment